Saturday 7 April 2007

The one about the posting

Posting. A word that can send shivers down the spine of anyone working in the government sector. You see, in government service, we (government servants) are sent to our respective workplaces based on posting. Anyone could be posted anywhere. Can be quite scary ler.

Anyways, I got a post in Perak during my housemanship year. During that time, I was 'lent' to an institute in Petaling Jaya. This means, I'm actually working (or rather, training) in PJ, while "holding" a post in Perak. Confusing? Yeah. It is confusing.

Then once I'd completed the houseman year, I was supposed to work in Perak (where I'm posted) but a miracle happened! I was transferred to a research institute in Kuala Lumpur! This kind of transfers are quite rare, as in 'normal' circumstances, once being 'lent' out, we have to return to our post and work there. So... miracle number one!

Thinking all was fine and dandy in the research institute in KL, I was transferred to a new institute two months later. This new institute is currently based in KL so not much of a change there. In fact, the institute is currently operating in the premise of the research institute I was posted to. However, this new institute is about to become 'privatized'. This means that I would not be fulfilling my compulsory service requirement if I stayed on once that happens (the privatization). Since I had to serve in the government sector for another 2.5 years, I was advised to apply for a transfer before the privatization happens, which was exactly what I did.

Yesterday (Good Friday... and indeed it was a good Friday!), I received news that my transfer has already been approved (considered very fast, as it took less than a month since I'd started the application process!) and that I will have to report to the new posting on 16th April. And, on top of that, I got my first choice of posting locations!! Wow, another miracle!! Praise the Lord! Woot!

Will have to go for my induction course from 12th onwards, so will have to call to postpone the reporting date. Looking forward to the new posting, which is actually the institute where I did my housemanship training, so not that much learning curve before I get used to the new post... yay! Will miss my colleagues, who have become very good friends... do keep in touch ya?

No comments: