Tuesday 23 October 2007

D.I.Y. - Good or Bad?

D.I.Y. or Do-It-Yourself... Is that a good thing or not? I suppose some might think that it's good to do things with your own hands - after all, that's one way to learn, right?

There are some things that people come to generalize and expect - one of which is that the female population have no inkling when it comes to car maintenance. Hence, D.I.Y. in this area is not something you commonly hear about. May I please correct this misconception - maybe a number of ladies are like that, but hey... NOT ALL lah. (There... I've said my piece...)

Anyhoo...

Recently, I checked my car's radiator water level and had emptied about 2 litres of water into both the radiator as well as the spare water container. (Goes to show how long I haven't checked lah...) On Sunday (finally!!), I did a more thorough check on my car - the battery water level, brake fluid level, engine oil level - and I found that there was a need to top up... all of them!! So, some battery water and brake fluid top-up later, I attempted to open the cover of the engine block to add some engine oil as the level showed "low". Failed attempt after failed attempt - it just wouldn't budge! Finally, I decided to use the curved end of a hammer to wedge the cover open... This resulted with a tear on the cover, sighz... Had to call my boss and ask for some time-off in order to go to the mechanic to replace the cover. (The cover was still in its place as it still wouldn't budge, but I don't think it advisable to drive around with a torn cap, right?) My boss allowed me to take up till half a day off - answered prayer #1!

Before I left for the mechanic's the next morning, I said a quick prayer... The following are the prayers and their results:

Sense of direction to find the place (haven't been to the mechanic for some time already - not sure if I'll be able to find my way given my inconsistent sense of direction) - answered prayer #2 (despite turning off the main road too soon, found my way back on track!)

No traffic jam (my time-off was only for half a day; any longer would be considered as taking one day of annual leave) - there was still a bit of traffic, but it wasn't the expected amount of traffic in order to term it as a traffic jam, so... answered prayer #3!

Availability of a spare cover and that the replacement will be done properly and not take up too much time - everything was completed within minutes after the 15 minute wait for the mechanic to come and see the car! Answered prayer #4!! (Ooh... we're on a roll! *grinz*)

Fair price of replacing the cover (I have no clue how much it was going to cost me, but whatever it was had to be paid anyway, right?) - talking with the mechanic while he replaced the cover, he said that it doesn't cost much (maybe a few ringgit only for the cover)... When he was done helping me to top-up with the engine oil I had brought along and replacing the cap with the new one, he said "No charge..." Wow!! Praise God - answered prayer #5!

Everything was completed within half an hour (at the mechanic's) and I managed to get into the office by 11am! All glory and praise to God!! =)

No comments: